The Rehabilitation Institute of Montana (RIM)
You can find out more about the RIM by calling Inpatient rehab at 406.327.4165 or Outpatient rehab at 406.327.4050.
If an injury, illness or disability is putting limits on how you live your life, the Rehabilitation Institute of Montana (RIM) can help. Ours is the oldest rehabilitation program of its kind in Montana. It’s also the most comprehensive, and with the latest technologies, equipment and treatment strategies—along with our highly trained staff—we rank among the top centers in the Northwest.
At RIM, we take the extra step of making it personal. Whether you’re here for a few hours of outpatient therapy or staying with us as an inpatient, we take special care to make you feel at home.
In fact, you could think of our facility as a medical destination—one dedicated not only to your rehabilitation but also your overall health, well being and peace of mind.
You can find out more about the Rehabilitation Institute of Montana by calling inpatient rehab at 406.327.4165.
Patients come to RIM from across the state and from across town here in Missoula. Our nationally recoginzed experts work as a team to treat people who are recovering from a stroke, head trauma, spinal cord injury or other debilitating condition, giving them the tools to re-enter the world with confidence.
A typical stay at RIM is just under two weeks. During that time you’ll benefit from cutting-edge therapies in a program designed specifically for you. With each step, you’ll get the support you need to reach and exceed your goals.
For brain injury patients, specialized care happens in our Community Bridges program—the only one of its kind in the Rocky Mountain West. More than half of Montana’s Certified Brain Injury Specialists practice there.
Patients who no longer need to stay with us may return for day treatment, where they receive similar therapies for a few hours a day. If you need less intensive therapy, one of our outpatient programs may be right for you.
You can find out more about the Rehabilitation Institute of Montana by calling outpatient rehab at 406.327.4050.
People who come to RIM on a day-to-day basis get the same special treatment as those who stay with us. You’ll feel it right away—the personal touch that inspires confidence. Each person’s care is designed for their unique situation, and our range of therapies is exhaustive.
For example, we help people of all ages—including children—with:
• Physical therapy. PT can improve a wide range of conditions such arthritis pain, injuries, diabetes, birth defects, incontinence, disabilities after a stroke, chronic pain and many more.
• Problem wounds. Experts in wound care use specialized technologies such as Vacuum Assisted Closure (VAC) and UV light therapy to speed healing.
• Finding the right wheelchair. In our Wheelchair Clinic, the only two certified Seating and Mobility Specialists in Montana help both adults and kids get comfortable in a wheelchair that fits them.
• Speech therapy. Our therapists treat kids and adults with speech, language and swallowing disorders.
• Occupational therapy. After an injury or stroke, OT can help you recover abilities such as driving, writing, cooking and other everyday skills. • Cardiac rehab. Exercise and lifestyle changes can lower your cardiovascular risks, especially after a heart attack or heart surgery.
Peace of mind
It’s normal to feel anxious when your health is at stake. At RIM we work hard to ease your mind. For example, families are welcome to stay in the rooms with their loved ones. They’re also invited to the weekly care conferences. And our transitional-living apartment can give you confidence as your discharge approaches. Families can stay there with their loved one to see what life at home will be like.
You can also be assured that if you have a health crisis, you’re just minutes from emergency services at Community—no ambulance ride necessary.
RIM is certified by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. But we’re proudest of the praise that comes from our patients. Some of them come back to thank us and others send cards. One recent patient summed it up as she was discharged. She told our staff, “I wish I could take you all home with me.”
You can find out more about the Rehabilitation Institute of Montana by calling inpatient rehab at 406.327.4165 or outpatient rehab at 406.327.4050
Your multidisciplinary team
The Rehabilitation Institute of Montana is accredited by CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities), and our inpatient programs for brain injury and stroke have received the nation’s top accreditation for quality. An entire team works together to help you meet your goals:
• You-Your personal goals, motivation, participation, and safety are very important for your recovery.
• Your support system—We can help you and your support system adapt to the changes debility may bring through education, social services, psychological counseling, and follow-up care.
• Physiatrist—Your physician who specializes in physical rehabilitation medicine and oversees your treatment plan.
• Certified rehabilitation registered nurse—Provides 24-hour care, education, and training on your condition, medications, and other needs.
• Physical therapist—Helps to increase strength, endurance, range of motion, flexibility, and mobility using safe techniques and strategies.
• Occupational therapist—Explores new techniques to help maximize your independence with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, grooming, and dressing.
• Speech therapist—Assists with speech, swallowing, memory, cognition, and other needs to maximize safety and the ability to communicate effectively.
• Dietitian—Provides education and meal plans customized to individual dietary needs.
• Social worker—Provides support, discusses available resources and financial coverage, arranges discharge services.